Picture This: Hills Eclipse the Light in Skye’s Glen Brittle

The light stumbles over the hills, falls cold beyond the sward. A river and a road wend through Skye’s Glen Brittle en route to Loch Eynort, where they will stop. The sublime traverse nearly forgotten in its ending. I heard tell that fairy pools hid amongst the glowering hills, but the newly-flushed burns and streamlets thwart my exploration. It’s no bother; everything in this beguiling half-light is of the fairy realm. There is little to draw the eye in this glen, the visual equivalent of silencing the ever-chattering voices of the mind. Meditation.

The name Glen Brittle is an anglicization of the Gaelo-Norse, but it feels right. The hard Black Cuillins soar to the southeast, but this space feels brittle, fragile, thin. It could disappear in a blink or a breath. This is why I come to Scotland. This moment as the light and the dark slide over me. And this one. And this one. And this one. It is not the activities I wish to do that compel me to Scotland, but rather the places I wish to find that bring this feeling into perception. I watch the light clamber over the hills. Something is speaking to me and I can almost understand the message.

AndiNo Gravatar February 1, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Looks so peaceful!

Gayla~No Gravatar February 4, 2013 at 4:32 AM

There’s likely some truth to that legend. This definitely looks like the realm of the fairies – those may have been the voices you heard :-)
The greenness of the rolling hills, the shadow and light. It is a dramatic, yet peaceful landscape. I hope to get there someday…

Keith SavageNo Gravatar February 4, 2013 at 8:35 AM

There was a time when I thought Skye was over-rated, but the more I look through my pictures the more I realize just how shockingly majestic the place is. It’s a must-visit.

HoggaNo Gravatar February 5, 2013 at 8:27 AM

great shot!

Marysia @ My Travel AffairsNo Gravatar February 8, 2013 at 5:26 AM

Great shoot, especially clouds above the hills. I love local legends! I think world is more beautiful with them :)

Keith SavageNo Gravatar February 8, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Totally agree. And I love how the legends make me wonder what information is lost or hidden. Wondrous.

Edinburgh flightsNo Gravatar February 12, 2013 at 4:32 AM

I fall in love with Scotland over and over again when I see the pictures you take and I am not even surprised that there is a local legend attached to every corner of this wonderful land! The ancient tales just make every place so charming and mysterious…

StephanieNo Gravatar November 26, 2013 at 12:17 PM

This post (beautiful writing) is exactly why I’ve been longing to come back to Scotland, specifically to Skye. Can’t wait.