State of the Savage: October 2010

Above the Clouds

Friday is my last day at work. Beyond the obvious oncoming lifestyle changes there’s a feeling of renovation. There’s an internal change, too. One that reminds me of an old fixer-upper or a set of antique furniture painted and re-painted through the generations. You pull on your work jeans and boots, cast tarps about, and load in the tools. Then the anticipation – the apprehension – at what you’ll find beneath the old wallpaper and layers of paint.

What will I find? To what structure will life adhere without the typical work days and morning alarms and commutes. Rather than being anxious about this, I am elated at what feels like a move toward a more natural state for me.

Eleven months of blogging and I have achieved many of the goals I originally set out to accomplish. I have weathered internal and external “storms” but pushed on. I have made many mistakes and fumbled, often blindly, through a new world of travel bloggers, writers, and networking. I have chronicled my mental and physical transition to a place of possibility. And I haven’t even really started the journey yet.

My story is not so special, and it’s for this reason that I hope some shred of it empowers you.

Plans & Happenings

The last month has been filled with attending to many small details and tasks in preparation for my departure to Argentina. I’ve fleshed out the things I’ll bring with me, which has involved several stops at REI and Target, and tried to get things in order around the house for Sarah. Couple these tasks with finishing my last few weeks at work and continuing to blog and it has been a pretty hectic time.

A nice diversion was meeting up with Lucinda Vette of Single with Luggage last week for coffee and tea. We chatted about travel, careers, and living the unconventional life. Lucinda has lived a wildly adventurous life and the meeting registers as another win for social media – I’ve yet to meet someone in person courtesy of Twitter that I didn’t like. It has me very optimistic for what my future plans have in store.

Just last night I had an interesting Skype call with Marcello Arrambide of Wandering Trader who’s currently living in Buenos Aires and seeing everything Argentina has to offer on the weekends. We talked about his recent trip to Salta, Buenos Aires, and squared away some logistical details for my impending arrival and stay with him. I feel lucky to have such a welcoming host to break in the trip.

Features & PR

This past month has continued a string of exciting PR for Traveling Savage. October kicked off with my unconventional travel around the world post being included in the fourth edition of The Maiden Voyage’s Gen Y Travel Blog Carnival. A few days later, I was informed that my blog was #10 on the Top 150 travel blogs for students on CollegeScholarships.org. Nice! According to TravMonkey, Traveling Savage is also in the top 100 travel sites according to Google.

I was very pleased to be a vagabonding case study on Rolf Potts’ Vagablogging site this month. I respect Rolf’s writing and travel philosophy, and the previous case studies have all been admirable people. Andrew over at Grounded Traveler included my post Hope Is for the Future in his periodic round-up of favored blog posts. Ordinary Traveler then included my post on enriching travel through mindfulness in their weekly round-up.

Finally, last Friday I met with the associate editor of Madison Magazine. After I notified them of my plans, they decided to interview me for a piece in their March 2011 issue. This has got me very excited not only for the possible exposure of Traveling Savage, but because I respect the magazine and love this town! Expect more information if and when this gets published.

Parting Thought

A month from now, when I’m writing November’s State of the Savage, I’ll be somewhere in Argentina, three weeks deep on a different continent, in another world. Where will you be one month from now? Will it be closer to where you want to be?

Original photo by Bastien Vaucher via Flickr under Creative Commons

LauraNo Gravatar October 31, 2010 at 7:16 PM

First off, congrats on all the accomplishments this month. Really impressive! I’m really excited that you’re off to Argentina and can’t wait to hear about it…. I just might be heading that way in the Spring 🙂

Keith SavageNo Gravatar November 1, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Hey Laura, I’ll do my best to give you an inside look at Salta and wherever else I land in Argentina. Thanks!

Alastair HumphreysNo Gravatar November 1, 2010 at 4:14 PM

I loved Salta – really lovely.

MattNo Gravatar October 31, 2010 at 1:35 AM

Congrats on all of the publicity, and a bigger congrats on your upcoming big step. Safe travels and all the best – look forward to reading more once you’re on the road.

Keith SavageNo Gravatar November 1, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Thanks Matt!

Nick LabordeNo Gravatar October 30, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Congrats on the feature on Rolfs blog. I’m looking foreword to see how your blog evolves once you’re on the road.

Keith SavageNo Gravatar November 1, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Thanks Nick. I’m also curious to see how my writing evolves while on the road. I can promise it will be interesting!

Zablon MukubaNo Gravatar October 30, 2010 at 1:58 AM

congratulations on being listed on those sites, also for the interview on Madison Magazine. good luck with your travels

Keith SavageNo Gravatar November 1, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Thanks Zablon, I’m looking forward to it all.

villas costa blancaNo Gravatar October 30, 2010 at 1:39 AM

Congrats…..
All the best for the future and thanks for sharing your experience.

Keith SavageNo Gravatar November 1, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Thanks for the kind words.

Christy @ Ordinary TravelerNo Gravatar October 29, 2010 at 9:59 PM

That’s so exciting that you were interviewed by Madison Magazine! I believe great things are on the horizon for you! Boy Voyage and good luck on your new journey!

Keith SavageNo Gravatar November 1, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Thank you Christy!

Ted NelsonNo Gravatar October 29, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Good luck Keith.

Keith SavageNo Gravatar November 1, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Cheers, Ted!

AbbyNo Gravatar October 29, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Ohhh, it’s too exciting, Keith! Congratulations!! You’re starting off with a country I’ve always wanted to go to but somehow never have. And I may be going this spring! In other words, I’ll be readying every detail about your trip. Like I wasn’t going to already. Good luck!

Keith SavageNo Gravatar November 1, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Thanks Abby. I’ll be doing my best to provide immersive and interesting stories of Argentina’s people and places.

KenNo Gravatar October 29, 2010 at 6:15 AM

You’ve got the courage and intelligence to be successful in this new endeavor. Follow your dream, Keith.

Keith SavageNo Gravatar November 1, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Thanks Dad. You and Mom have made this life change a lot easier for me.

PoiNo Gravatar October 29, 2010 at 5:07 AM

Great stuff Keith – I look forward to reading about your time in Argentina, It’s great that you have a warm welcome waiting.

Keith SavageNo Gravatar November 1, 2010 at 9:25 AM

I agree, it will make the transition a bit easier. Thanks for reading Poi. I’ve been following your journey through Asia and it sounds like you’ve had some crazy times (especially the swelling incident).

SofiaNo Gravatar October 29, 2010 at 4:08 AM

Congratulations on everything, you deserve it!

Keith SavageNo Gravatar November 1, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Hi Sofia, thank you! Thanks, also, for including me in your list of the 25 most inspiring travel bloggers. You and Nathan are quite inspiring on your own.

WanderingTraderNo Gravatar October 29, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Look forward to seeing you soon man! Have a safe trip! 🙂

Keith SavageNo Gravatar November 1, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Me too! Thanks for hosting.

malaysia luxury hotelsNo Gravatar October 29, 2010 at 12:10 AM

wao I am really enjoy it about your blog on state of the savage 🙂 ,hehehe I will read your blog , and it is about travelling savage 😀

Keith SavageNo Gravatar November 1, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Thanks, glad you enjoyed this update!

GrayNo Gravatar October 28, 2010 at 10:55 PM

I’m so happy for you, Keith. “Bon voyage”–not just on your trip to Argentina, but this whole new journey of your life. 🙂

Keith SavageNo Gravatar November 1, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Thanks Gray, I appreciate all of the support you’ve shown since way back.

JoAnnaNo Gravatar October 28, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Congratulations on the interview with Madison Magazine! That’s really exciting news!

Keith SavageNo Gravatar November 1, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Hey, thanks JoAnna! I’m really excited about the piece in Madison Magazine. I hope it gets published and turns out well. This is a lesson in reaching out to local media outlets – do it and you might be surprised in the interest you can generate. Props go to my good friend Ryan for suggesting this idea to me.

Michael TysonNo Gravatar October 28, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Nice work Keith! Super kudos for the spot on Rolf Potts’ blog – not too shabby 🙂

Keith SavageNo Gravatar November 1, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Thanks Michael! I should point out that anyone can submit their story on Rolf’s blog for a vagabonding case study.